Most New Year’s Resolutions Fail–
Read This To Succeed In The New Year!
- The #1 reason resolutions fail.
- One simple idea that DOES WORK to maximize resolution success.
- Want to eat healthier at home? Purchase baby carrots and apples instead of Super Sugar Munch and Crispy Salt Chips in the store, so your future self at home won’t even have the option to binge. (And then you can give yourself a pat on the back for having awesome willpower!)
- Want to save more money? By signing up for an automatic savings plan, you make it EASY for your future self to save. (Then later you can tell yourself, “I am so awesomely motivated and disciplined to save!” And…you’ll be right!)
- Want to improve a skill? Invest in a class–your future self will be motivated to keep up with the weekly group and will avoid day-to-day decisions about what to practice by simply following the class structure. (And if you signed up for rock band, you’ll also be accountable to all your band mates for learning your parts–double the commitment!)
- depending on future motivation is an inadequate and self-esteem killing bad strategy.
To increase your success:
- choose to be successful in advance with a Commitment Device.
P.S. Here’s one more habit book for your personal greatness library: The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy, which was a game changer for me in starting to focus more on habits and less on final results. (My final results got better, too!) And of course, don’t forget that all NYC Guitar School private lesson students get a great book about the habits of successful music practice for free, The Ultimate Guitar Workbook, by yours truly.